When achieving beautiful smiles, initiating treatment at a younger age often yields better results. However, parents may be concerned about the benefits and potential hangups of having their children undergo orthodontic treatment.
Just as every coin has two sides, dental treatments also come with their own advantages and potential pitfalls. Rest assured, we’ll break down the pros and cons of early orthodontic treatment to help you gain a clear idea of whether or not it’s a good idea for your child.
Early Orthodontic Treatment Pros and Cons
Early orthodontic treatment, also called Phase One orthodontics or early orthodontic intervention, focuses on providing timely orthodontic care to children.
The idea behind early orthodontic treatment is twofold: it aims to guide the development of the jaws and teeth while also identifying and addressing potential issues as they arise, ensuring timely correction as the jaws and teeth develop.
However, it’s essential to consider these early orthodontic treatment pros and cons.
- Early Problem Detection: Early orthodontic intervention allows orthodontic issues to be detected quickly and as they develop. This can be crucial in preventing more severe problems later in life, such as crowding, spacing, or misaligned bites like underbites and overbites.
- Guided Growth: Orthodontists can guide the growth of the jaws and dental arches. This creates a more favorable environment for permanent teeth as they come. In addition, it can reduce the need to extract more invasive treatments in the future.
- Improved Aesthetics: Correcting orthodontic issues early can lead to a more attractive smile and a more robust facial profile, contributing to increased self-esteem and confidence as the child matures.
- Functional Benefits: Phase One orthodontic treatment can also address many operational issues. It can prevent or correct problems with chewing, speech, and biting problems, improving a child’s overall quality of life.
- Preventing Dental Damage: Correcting misaligned teeth, malocclusions, or jaw problems can reduce the risk of dental damage or wear and tear, as teeth are more likely to function correctly when in the correct position.
- Early Treatment Duration: Phase One orthodontic treatment typically begins at a young age. That means that it can often be a long, protracted process. Children may also need to wear braces or other orthodontic appliances for an extended period.
- Cost: Orthodontic costs can be higher when spread out over multiple phases. However, some parents may find paying for treatment in smaller installments more manageable.
- Compliance Challenges: Young children often struggle to comply with treatment requirements, such as consistently wearing removable appliances like Invisalign or keeping their braces clean.
- Limited Predictability: Early orthodontic treatment can be less predictable as growth patterns will differ between each child. Treatment outcomes may not be as precise as with adults.
- Potential for Follow-Up Treatment: Even after Phase One treatment, some children or adolescents may still require additional orthodontic work when their permanent teeth have developed. This can be seen as a disadvantage regarding overall duration and cost.
It’s important to understand that many orthodontic issues can be addressed more effectively the sooner they are treated. The decision to pursue early orthodontic treatment should be made on a case-by-case basis based on recommendations from an experienced orthodontist and the child’s specific needs.
Always consult with an orthodontic professional like Beverly Hills Orthodontics to have your child individually evaluated.
Beverly Hills Orthodontics Provides the Best Early Orthodontic Treatment
Now that you know some critical early orthodontic treatment pros and cons, it’s time to consider the next steps. If you are concerned about your child’s oral development, you must ensure that you work with an experienced orthodontist like Beverly Hills Orthodontics.
We provide cutting-edge and effective orthodontic solutions such as Invisalign, traditional braces, and more for underbites, open bites, irregular spacing, crossbites, crowding, and impacted teeth.
Driven by the leadership of Dr. Monica Madan, we strive to offer world-class orthodontic care to residents of Los Angeles County and surrounding areas. Our dedication to that excellence has led us to be recognized as a VIP Diamond+ Invisalign provider, an honor only bestowed to the top 1% of Certified Invisalign Providers.
With Beverly Hills Orthodontics, you can be confident that your child receives exceptional care because we want to help them obtain the smile they deserve. That way, they can live a healthier, happier life.
Ready to learn more about early orthodontic treatment pros and cons? Call or text us at 310-785-0770 or visit our contact page to book a complimentary appointment today.
NOTE: All blog content is intended to supplement—NOT REPLACE—the expertise of a healthcare professional and should not be construed in any way as medical advice. Consult a professional orthodontist directly, like the ones at BHO, to assess your individual needs and advise the best course of treatment.