When they’re new to orthodontics, one of the most common questions people ask is how to keep teeth white during treatment. For most, the main reason they seek orthodontic treatment is to get a straighter, more beautiful smile. And since one aspect of a more attractive smile is shiny, pearl-white teeth, getting your teeth white and keeping them that way is one of the things we do best here at Beverly Hills Orthodontics.
What Causes Staining and Discolored Teeth?
Several factors can cause your teeth to become discolored. Some stains, like coffee and tobacco, are easier for a professional dental hygienist to remove. Discolorations like the ones you see from certain antibiotics (tetracycline) or tooth decay cannot be removed easily. Still, sometimes they can be professionally bleached away or restored by a dentist.
Common Causes of Tooth Discoloration
|Coffee||Tea (including Green Tea)||Soda|
|Decay (Cavities)||Poor Oral Hygiene||Age|
|Childhood Fever||Too Much Childhood Fluoride||Tooth Trauma|
How To Keep Teeth White During Treatment:
The best way to keep your teeth sparkling white while undergoing orthodontic treatment is to keep up excellent home care. Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft toothbrush and an ADA-approved toothpaste, and floss once daily to keep your teeth and gums happy, healthy, and white while you straighten your smile.
You should also make sure to see your dentist and dental hygienist every 6 months (on average) so they can help you improve your techniques and monitor for any white spot lesions that might start during your orthodontic treatment.
Best Oral Hygiene Practices:
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day with a soft toothbrush and ADA-approved toothpaste.
- Make sure you clean around each and every bracket for metal braces!
- Learn the best way to clean your aligners if you have Invisalign.
- Floss or use floss alternatives like proxy brushes or water flossers at least once daily – or ideally, after every time you eat.
- Visit the dentist for routine check-ups and professional cleanings.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash daily to prevent cavities and strengthen enamel.
My Teeth Are Healthy, But They’re Not White. What Now?
If your teeth aren’t as white as you’d like while undergoing orthodontics, ask your orthodontist for her approval to begin whitening treatments. You can choose from a wide range of whitening treatments, some of which will work better or worse, depending on the type of braces or aligners you have.
For example, if you have traditional bracket-and-wire braces, you may want to wait on any whitening treatments until your braces are off to ensure the whole tooth surface can be whitened evenly. If you have removable aligners like Invisalign, you can discuss in-office or at-home whitening options with your orthodontist.
Whitening Options For During or After Orthodontics
- Zoom Teeth Whitening: In-office appointment that brightens your smile 5-10 shades in under two hours!
- At-home Trays: Custom-fit trays that come with professional strength bleaching gel to give you a brighter smile than anything you can buy over the counter but still on your own schedule.
- Whitening Pens: Carry the BHO brand with you wherever you go for whitening on the go! These whitening pens help whiten your teeth in as little as thirty seconds.
- Cloud Whitening Foam: This fantastic foam cleans and whitens both your aligners and your teeth at the same time! One pump can be used to brighten trays and teeth simultaneously, or by covering your aligners with foam in their storage case, you can clean your trays without whitening your teeth.
At Beverly Hills Orthodontics, we want everyone to leave with a smile they love! From the beginning to the end of the orthodontic process, we value our patients: we want you to have the best experience and get the best results.
Whether you come in with a white smile and want to know how to keep your teeth white, or you come in for whitening treatments along with your orthodontics, Dr. Madan and the BHO team are here to help you with personalized treatment options. If you’re ready to start a whitening or orthodontic treatment plan, we can help you achieve your goals! Call or text BHO at 310-785-0770 or visit our contact page to book a whitening appointment and set yourself on the path toward a brighter smile.
NOTE: All blog content is intended to supplement—NOT REPLACE—the expertise of a healthcare professional and should not be construed in any way as medical advice. Consult a professional orthodontist directly, like the ones at BHO, to assess your individual needs and advise the best course of treatment.